CAT ADOPTION AGREEMENT
Cat’s Name: _____________________________
Color and description: _____________________ _______________________________________
Sex: [ ] F [ ] M Age ________
[ ] Spayed [ ] Neutered
ID tag number _______________
Medical record given [ ] Yes [ ] No
Adopter’s Name: _____________________________________________
City __________________________ State ___________ Zip __________
Home phone ___________________________
Work phone ___________________________
Four Legs and Fur Animal Society is a 501(c)3 association devoted to ensuring the humane treatment of animals in Missouri. In this agreement, Four Legs and Fur Animal Society will be called “Four Legs and Fur” and the name of the individual listed above shall hereinafter be referred to as “adopter”.
The adopter represents that the information provided herein is true and correct to the best of the Adopter’s information and belief. Four Legs and Fur and the Adopter wish to enter into this agreement to provide the adopted cat with a suitable forever home.
1. Return Policy. Four Legs and Fur has a commitment to all its animals: to care for them for the lifetime of each animal. The Adopter agrees that if he or she is unwilling or unable to care for the cat for its entire lifetime, he or she will contact Four Legs and Fur and return the cat to a location specified by Four Legs and Fur. The Adopter understands that he or she is responsible for the care of the animal until he or she has delivered it into the proper Four Legs and Fur hands, and will do everything within his or her power to safely return the animal.
The Adopter agrees that in the event he or she finds a suitable alternative home for the animal, he or she will contact Four Legs and Fur with the name, address and phone number of the proposed new adopter. Any proposed new Adopter will be required to complete an adoption agreement with Four Legs and Fur before adopting the cat. Under no circumstances, shall the adopter transfer permanent custody, ownership or possession of the cat to any one entity, including family or friends, without the approval and written consent of Four Legs and Fur.
2. Adoption Donation. The Adopter agrees to pay an adoption donation of $ _____ to help defray Four Legs and Fur’s expenses for food, sheltering, spaying or neutering, vaccinations and veterinary care. Additional donations are welcome.
3. Identification, Licenses. This cat [ ] is [ ] is not microchipped for identification. Four Legs and Fur is the contact registered with the microchip company, so if the cat is found as a stray, Four Legs and Fur will be the first point of contact. The Adopter agrees to obtain the proper license, if required under local law. The Adopter also agrees to comply with local and state statutes and ordinances.
4. Veterinary Care. The Adopter agrees to provide the cat with the necessary vaccinations as advised by his or her veterinarian. The Adopter agrees to obtain immediate veterinary care should the cat become sick or injured, and to take full financial responsibility for any veterinary expenses.
5. Care of the Cat. The Adopter agrees to allow the cat full access to the home. The Adopter agrees to provide the cat with fresh water, wholesome food, adequate exercise and loving attention.
6. Declawing. The Adopter agrees NOT to declaw the cat, and understands that declawing is the painful amputation of the first knuckle, which renders the cat defenseless and inflicts unnecessary pain.
7. No Representations. The Adopter understands that Four Legs and Fur does not guarantee the health, temperament, or training of the above described cat.
8. Seizure and Impoundment of the Cat. If the cat shall, for any reason, be picked up by local law enforcement or animal control, the Adopter will immediately contact Four Legs and Fur by phone or email reporting that the animal has been picked up and impounded and the animal’s location. The Adopter shall also inform the authorities holding the cat that the animal is under the ultimate ownership of Four Legs and Fur and is microchipped, provide contact information for Four Legs and Fur to the authorities and request that the authorities contact Four Legs and Fur immediately. Under no circumstances will the Adopter agree to or allow the euthanasia of the cat prior to informing Four Legs and Fur.
9. Release. The Adopter, and for his/her spouse, heirs, executors, personal representatives and assigns, agrees never to bring a claim or suit against Four Legs and Fur Animal Society. The Adopter releases Four Legs and Fur and its directors, founders, employees, officers, agents, representatives, contractors, volunteers, successors and assigns from all liability arising from the adoption or behavior our actions of the cat.
The Adopter understands that this agreement discharges Four Legs and Fur and its directors, founders, employees, officers, agents, representatives, contractors, volunteers, successors and assigns, with respect to bodily injury, personal injury, illness, amputation, scarring, death, property damage or other loss that may result from the adoption of behavior or activities of the cat. The Adopter releases Four Legs and Fur and discharges Four Legs and Fur and its directors, founders, employees, officers, agents, representatives, contractors, volunteers, successors and assigns, from any liability for Four Legs and Fur’s own negligence or liability that may result in bodily injury, personal injury, illness, amputation, scarring, death, property damage or other loss to the Adopter.
10. Indemnity Agreement. The Adopter, and for his/her spouse, heirs, executors, personal representatives and assigns, agrees never to indemnify and hold Four Legs and Fur harmless for all to bodily injury, personal injury, illness, amputation, scarring, death, property damage or other losses, including attorney’s fees and costs of litigation, that result to anyone else or any other entity because of the Adopter’s negligence or liability. This includes lone acts or omissions by the Adopter as well as the combined acts of the Adopter with others.
11. Change of Address. In the event that the Adopter moves, he or she agrees to contact Four Legs and Fur with change of address information, so that all records can be updated and microchip information can be changed.
12. Procedure to Reclaim. Four Legs and Fur makes a lifetime commitment to any animal that is accepted into its shelter/sanctuary. On rare occasion, Four Legs and Fur may have to reclaim the adopted cat. Here is the procedure that will be followed:
a. Four Legs and Fur will notify the Adopter by certified mail, return receipt requested, of the reclamation and ask that the cat be returned. The notice shall state clearly the circumstances under which Four Legs and Fur is acting and state a date when the Adopter shall meet with agents of Four Legs and Fur to discuss the situation.
b. After seven days from the posting of this notice, if the Adopter has not notified Four Legs and Fur, or has not accepted the notice, legal action will be taken by Four Legs and Fur to retrieve the cat.
c. If the cat is in a situation that may endanger its life, Four Legs and Fur may call animal control or whatever legal assistance is available in the Adopter’s locality to recover the cat on behalf of Four Legs and Fur.
d. In the event that either of these situations occurs, or if for any reason the cat is returned to Four Legs and Fur, the Adopter may request a meeting to discuss the matter within 10 days after the cat is reclaimed.
e. Any decision of Four Legs and Fur is final as to whether the cat shall be returned to the Adopter.
13. Other. The Adopter expressly agrees that the releases and indemnity agreement are intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by law. The Adopter agrees that in the event that any clause or provision of this agreement shall be held to be invalid by any court of competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such clause or provision shall not otherwise affect the remaining provisions of this agreement. This is the entire agreement between the parties and supersedes any other verbal or written statements, representations, or promises.
This agreement shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Missouri. Any disputes under this agreement will be resolved in Hickory County Missouri. All disputes under this agreement will be settled by binding arbitration.
The Adopter agrees that he/she is legally competent to enter into this agreement, and this Agreement is binding upon the heirs, assigns, successors, personal representatives and executors of both parties.
Signature of Adopter
Agent for Four Legs and Fur Animal Society Date
Donation received: $____________
FOUR LEGS & FUR: Post Office Box 173, Hermitage, Missouri 65668. Email: email@example.com